Re: [TR] Need method for welding floorpans

To: lists02@canleyworks.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Need method for welding floorpans
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 13:00:04 EST
In a message dated 1/9/2007 10:10:58 AM Central Standard Time,
lists02@canleyworks.com writes:
> On second thought, is there any need to weld a floor pan on
> the TR2 through TR6? Perhaps this would be a good place to
> use adhesive alone.

Autobody people are rather conservative and would reel back in horror at the
though of not securing the floors with welds.  Relying solely on the adhesive
would make the attachment more dependent on surface preparation of the joined
surfaces.  If the adhesive is applied to a powder coated piece of metal it may
not stick at all.  Also if the surface is oily, dirty, or wet.

But using both adhesive and welds is the belt and braces (suspenders)
approach.

Like I said earlier, I considered using adhesive and steel pop rivets.  Note
I said steel, not aluminum.  Steel are stronger and get around the dissimilar
metals issues with using aluminum.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org