RE: Jets Stromberg 175 CD

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Jets Stromberg 175 CD
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 20:27:15 -0800
> While replacing the perished O rings in my 1965 TR4A carbs, I thioght I
> may as well check the diaphragm etc.. I took out the needle to discover
> it has 1A stamped on the end and the jet has .100. According to the Moss
> catalogue it should be 2A, 2E or 2H and according to the Haynes
> Stromberg manual I have it should be 2H.

According to my Haynes, the needle comparison is :

Stn     1A              2H
1       .0980           .0980
2       .0919           .0923
3       .0889           .0899
4       .0862           .0877
5       .0834           .0755  (almost certainly, this should be .0855)
6       .0811           .0825
7       .0784           .0792
8       .0725           .0750
9       .0692           .0708
10      .0692           .0674
11      .0661           .0635
12      .0630           .0604
13      .0630           .0600

Looking at that, I would *guess* that the 1A needle will give you a bit richer
mixture at cruise and leaner at high throttle (as compared to the stock 2H
needle).  Seems to me that would translate to both somewhat higher fuel
consumption and less full throttle power.

But, it's hard to say for sure without making measurements on your particular
car.  If you do get a pair of stock needles to try, you might want to replace
the spring too.  It can also affect the mixture, and whoever changed the needles
may have changed the springs too.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org