Re: Right angle drive for speedo necessary?

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Right angle drive for speedo necessary?
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:40:34 -0700
CarlSereda@aol.com wrote:

>...For TR4 it comes straight off tranny. On
>non-OD tranny, cable goes through a rubber boot attached to side of cardboard
>tranny cover (near parking brake), but I'm not sure about OD version

Actually Carl, I think you have described the OD cable arrangement --
the non-OD cable attaches to a drive on the left/drivers side of the
gearbox... that is why it is shorter.

Drew -- my speedo bound up due to a tiny bit of corrosion on the shaft
of one of the odo gears.  The gearing inside these things is pretty high
so it doesn't take much to bind it up.  Using Tony Rhodes site I took it
apart, polished the shaft, reassembled and calibrated.  Not hard to
repair these things if the hairspring is intact... a skill worth
acquiring & Tony's site makes it almost easy.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rhodes/

Geo Hahn