Re: Right angle drive for speedo necessary?

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Right angle drive for speedo necessary?
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 09:41:20 -0700
Andrew Frink wrote:

> ... the speedo isn't  working right now. PO said she replaced the
> cable, and the guage  worked briefly before stopping...

Drew -- cables shouldn't fail after briefly working... before you
install a new cable check to see if your speedo is binding or even
bound-up.  You should be able to spin the innards by inserting something
squareish in the back of the speedo (end of an old cable, or I have used
a small Phillips screwdriver).  If it binds it will snap your new cable too.

For future reference you can probably find a place locally that will
replace the insides of the cable for about 10 or 15 bucks -- not
necessary to buy a new housing if you have a good one.  You just take
them the old houing and they make a new cable to the correct length and
fitment.

Sorry, can't answer the OD question you asked.

Geo Hahn