Re: * Power Survey *

To: Wayne Brazinski <wayne@brazinski.com>
Subject: Re: * Power Survey *
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 01:31:01 -0600
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Wayne Brazinski wrote:

> Hi everyone!

> I'm looking for around a RELIABLE 200HP (not rear wheel) but will take more:
>
> So which engine :
>
> 1) Do nothing - stay stock
> 2) Hop up the TR engine with Weber's, ported head etc.
> 3) Hop up the TR engine with a Supercharger
> 4) Transplant a Buick/Olds/Pontiac Rover 3.5 litre
> 5) Transplant a Ford 302 with Aluminum heads.
>
> I've been "feeding" off the British V8 site so know what Dan Masters
> thinks - I want to know what YOU think!!

Along with everything everyone else has said, there's are the issues
of driveability and cost, with regard to building a heavy-horsepower
  TR engine. If you take a look at the Competition Guide, it shows
all the things to do to get 160 hp, reliable enough to compete for a
season, with good maintenance and a tear-down when trouble is
lurking nearby. There are probably some tricks to get more
horsepower than that, but they're bound to be expensive and reduce
reliability.

But, any TR engine putting out that much horsepower, or a little
less, isn't going to be driveable on the street. Period. Try easing
off the clutch at stop lights with the engine idle still a little
lumpy at 1800-2000 rpm and a 8-9 lb. flywheel, and you'll get my
drift. With the compression ratios required to produce that much
power, you'd probably spend every weekend fixing head gasket leaks.

Gas mileage would be terrible, mostly due to the necessary cam
overlap. Another cost factor. Building an engine to exceed even the
160 hp possible with moderate home and shop work would likely be
five grand, possible more, depending upon crankshaft used.

I think many of the same problems would surface with supercharging,
as well, particularly cost--the engine at high compression has
enough trouble keeping head gaskets in place without increasing
boost to the 2 or so atmospheres necessary to produce that sort of
power.

To get that sort of power and still be able to drive the thing on
the street, I think, you'll have to look at another engine. Joe's
suggestion about a Honda VTEC engine is a possibility, and a
BOP-Rover engine will fit--those are around--but with a lot of work.
V-6s are another possibility--reasonably compact and capable of
producing the power you need and keeping the car fairly tractable.

The other consideration is the rest of the drivetrain--it wasn't
meant to survive daily applications of 200+ horsepower--and the
parts to make the rest of the drivetrain live are getting expensive
and harder to find--Joe C. says he's got a 240+ hp VTEC available,
but note that he's working on a way to install a `Vette rear end, too.

Of course, money and time cure almost all problems. *smile*

Cheers, and good luck, whatever you decide.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking
distance.