Re: Ignition wire originality question

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <dixie4@wales.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Ignition wire originality question
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 12:29:02 -0400
I agree that you can have some "show" setup and a daily driver setup.  I may
go ahead an do this!

However, I am trying to restore this TR4a in a "concours-like" driver.  I do
not want to over-restore it, but I do want it very similar to what it was
the day it was driven off the lot except for maintenance.  My personal
feelings are that the non-embossed cap is fine, because otherwise it has the
same shape, color (mostly), and material.  Same for the wires.  I do not
like the solid core wires because thay make static on the radio.  (I guess
resistor plugs would solve this too.)

I do not agree totally with Lou M. about period accessories.  I completely
agree that the absolute judging standard of "as assembled" is the most
objective standard (assuming we know what was actually installed at the
factory, like black bodied 2 speed wiper motors(?) and vinyl shifter
gaiters(?)).  Allowing "period" accessories then DOES open a can of worms
about what consitiutes "period".  Does "period" mean available before or on
the date of delivery?  Within a year of delivery?  Within a decade of
delivery?  When WAS that delivery?  Did it get delivered a year or two after
assembly?  This is what Lou is talking about.

My personal opinion is that if it is fitted with the closest currently
available replacement part, or a period accessory (available before and up
to a year after production, or so) should have no deductions.  BUT if I were
pressed about subjective vs. objective standards, I would have to side with
Lou M.

So, what about the wires?  The bumblebee appearance was a period accessory,
and the new non-embossed caps are the closest we have available, so both
"should" be acceptable in our judging.

-Tony
----- Original Message ----- > Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 10:47:37 +0100
> From: "dixie" <dixie4@wales.freeserve.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: Ignition wire originality question
>
> The concours question and subsequent disscussion regarding wires has been
> interesting because I was always under the impression that for my 1966
TR4A
> they were supposed to be solid copper core and dark green made by
Ripaults.