RE: Ignition wire originality question

To: "TR" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Ignition wire originality question
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 15:44:31 -0700
> Personally, I consider
> radio static to be 'original' too.

FWIW, I have found the original resistors (one in the dizzy cap, and one at
each spark plug) to be reasonably adequate at suppressing radio noise.  Most
of the remaining noise comes from the generator.  Adding a 0.1 mfd mica cap
across the generator output (right at the generator) will kill that too, but
of course is not 'correct'.

And some radios (like my old Johnson CB) were sensitive to noise on the
power wires.  A 0.1 mfd from the key side of the coil to the engine block
will help cut that down (and some 70's Triumphs came with such a cap), but
the sure cure is an in-line filter in the power lead to the radio.  If
you've installed an alternator, this is the only way to keep the "alternator
whine" out of the radio.

Randall