RE: TR2-6 Brake performance

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR2-6 Brake performance
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 11:27:36 -0700
> Must have been something wrong... here is some TR6 brake performance
> information that a friend passed along, these are British
> Leyland's figures
> for the vehicle.  For a normally loaded properly functioning car
> you should
> see about 180ft from 60mph.

Certainly part of the discrepancy is that the figures given at
http://www.vtr.org/maintain/brake-conversion.html
are not from 60 mph, but closer to 66 mph (3000 rpm, direct drive, 3.45
rear, 205/70-15 tires which are about 790 revs/mile).  If we neglect driver
reaction time (and other things), stopping distance should be proportional
to the square of speed, so we would expect John's numbers to be about 20%
higher than those taken at 60 mph; or about 218 feet on stock tires.

Since I believe the original tires were a major limiting factor, should be
able to do better with modern tires (as John apparently used, although he
doesn't specify which ones) and stock brakes.

Randall