RE: How do you remove !@#^%$ rear hubs

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: How do you remove !@#^%$ rear hubs
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 09:44:31 -0800
> 1967 TR4A solid axle -
>
> 1)       How to you remove the blaster rear hubs. I need them off to put
> in new studs and change the seals & bearings.

Easiest is to unbolt the bearing housings from the axle housing and pull the
halfshaft out with the hub and bearing still attached.  If you really have
to pull the hub off of the halfshaft, you will need a special puller.  As
many people have learned to their dismay, trying to use an ordinary hub
puller, or a hydraulic press, is apt to lead to disaster.  Once the hub is
distorted, it's junk; and new ones are not cheap.

Some LBC shops have the puller and will separate the hubs as a service.  I
take mine to Herman van den Akker, but you'll probably want to find
someplace closer to home to cut down on shipping costs.  Try

Brian Schlorff
Power British Performance Parts, Inc.
1242 East Ridge Pike
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462-2754
610-270-0505 voice 610-270-3059 fax
britcars@powerbritish.com

I don't know for sure that Brian has a puller, but he'll know who does.

> 2)       What's the best method to remove the studs - grind off the
> backs then unscrew with two wheel nuts?

I try to only grind (with a Dremel) where the stud is peened, don't grind
away the hub if you can help it.

> One stud hole (at least) is
> stripped so I assume a machine can fix it and set a new stud OK. Right?

I don't see any reason a Heli-coil wouldn't work ... but I'd be looking for
another hub.

Randall