Re: Low power/missing (TR3A)

To: Popnglo@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Low power/missing (TR3A)
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 21:59:36 EDT
Ed,
I think you may be running way too hot on a regular basis. As far as I know
TR3 and TR4 thermostats are identical. The factory used bellowed type (like
SMITHS) thermostats stamped 70C (158). They came with a 'sleave' to block the
'bypass port' after warm-up so all coolant is forced to radiator rather than
'bypassing' and only recirculating inside the block.
The 70C is the ONLY thermostat specified in the TR4 Factory Workshop Manual
and it states that thermostats should START TO OPEN AT 70C. The only time I
would use a 80C is in locales with the worst winters - no way in summer.
If you don't have a sleaved thermostat in 70C, Moss sells well-made Jaguar
aftermarket sleaved ones for $36 or so - only in 70C.
If you want to use a standard 70C thermostat 'without a sleave' I would block
off most of the bypass port flow semi-permanently by placing 1/4" holed
washer inside the rubber bypass hose where it fits onto thermostat housing.
Having the radiator shroud is important as well.
The TR motors were originally designed in a cooler environment and often need
extra help to run at proper temp in hotter climates. Having your thermostat
open 10 degrees later than standard is crazy -no?
TR motors are also known for burning exhaust valves - another good reason to
get your temps down - at least down to factory standard.
If you have started burning the valves already you might check the rockers
ASAP - ensuring rocker gaps are .010" helps cool valves and may reduce further
damage.
Regards and good luck,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

<< Installed is an 80C degree sleeved NOS AC, 176F start and if I remember
right 192F full open. Typical cruising in hot weather (90F+) results in a rise,
under load (like up an incline) to the next notch (between 185 and 230), which
would be about 207 or so. In cooler weather it will hover  below the 207 mark.

Ed >>