Re: restoration

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: restoration
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:12:49 -0400
In a message dated 6/24/2003 7:06:27 AM Eastern Standard Time, OC@46thFoot.com
writes:

> And, alas, it is also true that the most cost-effective way to end up
> owning a fully-restored TR is to buy one in that condition in the first
> place. :-(

Funny, people have been saying that for years, and I'm just not sure I buy into
the logic. I understand the reasoning, inasmuch as very, very few cars bring at
sale anything near the total amount spent to "restore" them.

As with any other used car, a shiny exterior and new carpets doesn't
necessarily mean a "correct" restoration or a sound car. An hour or two with a
steam cleaner and some quickly sprayed on undercoat can hide a multitude of
underbody structural problems, enough sawdust or 300 wt gear oil can quiet
almost any gearbox or differential, etc., etc.
Even a pile of receipts totalling many thousands of $$$$ cannot guarantee that
whoever did the work did it well or "correctly"! I could tell such STORIES....
:-)

That's where I think Fred's advice is spot-on. Join a club or three, join
Internet mailing lists, buy some books and magazines, etc., etc....do your
homework and get the opinions of others who know what's what! Hopefully, for
every shiny $10,000 car with a Bondo'ed chassis there will be one at a similar
price that is honestly good and worthy of your time and $$$$.

--Andy Mace