Re: TR3 Clutch

To: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: Re: TR3 Clutch
From: George Richardson <gprtech@frontiernet.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 13:31:27 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
This is my concern with many of the "Improvements" made to our cars.
Examples:

Rear oil seals: The old ones only go bad if the main bearings have gone.
You could have them made from scratch if you needed to. The "Improved"
seal? 20 years from now it'll be as scarce as the original. 40 years
from now? Forget it.

Electronic ignition: Ok, most of these are pretty simple, and some types
are repairable. Fuel injection? Forget it.

Transmission replacements? Probably serviceable for the forseeable
future, but you better know all the details of your transmission's origin.

Shock replacements? Good for 10-15 years, then the originals will be
more available than the replacements.

Gear reduction starters? Maybe electrical, but forget getting mechanical
parts. The originals are so simple that parts could always be made.

I don't oppose useful or needful improvements (electronic ignition is
great), but most of these things come with baggage of their own,
especially when the originals can be repaired, or even beefed up.

--
George Richardson
1957 Triumph TR3 - TS15559L http://www.key-men.com/triumph