RE: Re: TR3 Clutch

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Re: TR3 Clutch
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 00:31:49 -0700
> I've installed the slave cylinder to the front of the bracket and bled it.
> I cant get much less than .25" of free play and still have the push rod
> threaded into the clevis fork.

Sure sounds like a broken taper pin to me.

> Anyway, when the engine warmed up the clutch started dragging again.  The
> only difference is that now pumping the pedal makes it drag less
> and once in
> a while it won't drag at all.  I suspect that this is because of
> the weaker
> slave cylinder push rod return spring.

Me too.  In fact, you might try just removing the return spring and letting
the slave "self adjust" as the later ones do.  That might work OK, with only
occasional need to pump the pedal if at all.

> I'd like to try to reduce the free play in the slave linkage as a
> temporary
> work around and take my chances with the possible broken pin until after
> Summer.  Wouldn't moving the slave cylinder to the front of the
> bracket have
> the same effect as making a longer push rod?

I don't see why not, if you can get enough free play with it on the other
side.  I just wasn't thinking that way, I guess.  Don't be surprised if it
has to be adjusted several times though, as the taper pin fragments get
further mangled.

Good Luck!
Randall