TR3 Clutch

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 Clutch
From: Easton Family <eastonfamily@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 00:14:31 -0700
Greetings to the List,

I'm having trouble with the clutch in my 1959 TR3A.  After driving for about
thirty minutes, the clutch will not fully disengage making it grind when I
shift into first or reverse form a stop.  I can shut the engine off, shift
into first and restart the engine and drive away (which is how I limped home
when this happened).  When I drive the car again, starting with a cold
engine, the clutch works perfectly for thirty minutes or so and then starts
dragging again.

I fear that it is a broken clutch fork pin but I want to eliminate any other
possible causes before I remove the transmission.  I replaced the clutch two
years ago and replaced the pin at that time as a precaution although the old
pin had not broken.

The hydraulic hose is less than a year old and I've rebuilt both the slave
and master cylinders recently.  (I'll probably take them both apart again to
see if the springs inside have broken or anything else has failed.)

I've bled the system and I'm attempting to adjust the end float between the
slave cylinder and the clutch lever. (Here's where I need the wisdom of the
Triumph List.)  I've had this car for many years and have taken the slave
cylinder out so many times that I've lost track of how it's supposed to go
together.  With the cylinder (Girling) bolted to the rear of the bracket and
the end float adjusted to .075", the clutch lever moves about 3/4" when the
pedal in fully depressed.  When I try to bolt the cylinder to the front of
the bracket, the rod isn't long enough to adjust the end float.  Does this
indicate a problem with the clutch fork? Why would the clutch fail to
disengage fully only after warming up?

I apologize for the long winded question.  I really want to be sure that
this isn't a problem with the hydraulic system or incorrect installation or
adjustment of the slave cylinder before I take the transmission out again.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Dave Easton
1959 TR3A