An OD Problem?

To: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: An OD Problem?
From: ebk@buffnet.net
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 22:56:11 -0400
Hi List!
    I don't know where or how to Start in solving my OD problem. I'v got
it adjusten so when I turn on the electric switch, it mechanicialy goes
into gear. :-)  I went out to a local car show[100 miles one way] to
finish installing the 1st 500 miles on the engine. I decided to use the
through way instead of the back roads. My reasoning was this:     I'm at
the 350 mile Break In (BI) & this 200 mile trip will put me past the 500
mile retorque head/adj. values maintance. If I'm to be Test Riding (TR)
the engine for futhure driving conditions & the next big trip is going
to be a 7 hr. thurway drive, then put it on the thurway now. :-\  So I
did! The  engine  ran great! :-)  But it was interesting in the fact
that It's 20 miles to the thurway, & I was using my OD checking RPM's @
various speeds with it on & off. Everything is working find. I stopped
to meet some other local club menbers to caravan to the show by thurway.
We enter the thurway & turned on the the OD. Working great @ higher
speeds, but had to make a caravan stop for one of the members about 60
down the road, so naturally I had to turn of the OD to park. We get back
on the thurway & I switch on the OD electric switch. The OD light goes
on , but it dosen't engage into OD. :-\  After about another 20 miles @
60 MPH or 3000 RPM's, we stop to pay the toll [Sorry, but this is NYS
:-D ]. We drive for about 3 miles to the show & there is a short streach
on 55 MPH road, so try the OD, & this time all works well. :-)  So after
the show, we stopped for gas [Same member's car from before, to get gas,
this time]. I had tested the OD to have it work. After the gas, we're on
the Thurway, & I switch on the OD to leave it on until I get off the
thurway, with it working well. All of this TR, I'm slowly increacing the
RPM's with the OD on [up to about 80 MPH or about 3500 PRM's :-\ ].
 When I stop to pay toll, I had to switch off the OD. The last 20 Miles
I go to switch on the OD & NO Engagement. :-(  I park the TR4/A into the
Garage for 2 1/2 hr. I start up the car with little use of the choke (to
the TR) & test the OD, & it works. :-\ :-\  I'm running with Valveloine
Straight 50 Wt. Non -Deturagent motor oil.
period of time, but when it warms up of  an hour of meeting thermostate
temp. or more than 40 min. & shut off, then the OD DOESN'T work until
the engine cools down.
    Questions:
1- Is it electrical? If so, what is your thinking? :-\
2- Is it mechanical? If so, then What do you think it is? & send your
view of the reimenedy to fix it.
    I just stumped on this one. TIA, to all thoes than answer.
-Cosmo Kramer