Re: V8 POWERED TR3

To: "steve webber" <sweb3@yahoo.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: V8 POWERED TR3
From: "Paul Willoughby's Home" <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 15:58:17 -0700
Steve, there are a few of us with V8 TR3s.  It would be nice to have another
join the fold.  Go for it.

The 215 is supposed to be a nice fit, but why not go with the extra cubic
inches of a small block ford.  The 289/302 also fits fairly well and gives
you that AC Cobra/Sunbeam Tiger state of mind.  I haven't found the weight
for the TR3 motor, but I think the SBF doesn't weigh too much more at right
around 500 lbs.  Dimensionally, it is one of the smallest of the American
V8s.

Go to Dan Master's British Cars with V8s website for lots of info,
especially on the Rover/Buick V8.  http://www.britishv8.org/  There are a
few TR3 and TR4 V8's featured.

There are also MGB-V8  and Buick rover v8 email lists.  They do not have the
same volume of mail as the Triumph list: Subscription info is at:
http://www.team.net/cgi-bin/majorcool

I am in the middle of putting a 302/AOD in my TR3.  It's taking more work
than I imagined, especially trying to make the automatic fit, but I am
making good progress.  I'll send you some pictures of the current state of
the beast.

Some of the things you will need to consider are the:

Steering system-I used a TR3 Rack and Pinion conversion

Exhaust system-mine is ford motorsport block hugger headers, will hang
mufflers under the seats,exit in front of rear wheels

Firewall  needs to be shortened and widened.

Wiring-I yanked every single 50 year old wire and will be using a hot rod
kit by EZwiring.

Rearend-I'm tubbing and switching to a narrowed ford 9inch

Gauges-I've converted the TR3 tach to electric and will be using TR4 gauges
for the rest

Well that's enough blasphemy to offend most of the TR purists, at least for
one day.  Good luck

Paul Willoughby
Torrance, CA
56 TR3