Hybrid- was $3 a gallon gas

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Hybrid- was $3 a gallon gas
From: Windoseat@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 05:46:10 EST
Hi all

With US prices at $1.75 a gallon I'm really enjoying my Honda Insight! When
my significant other suggested the Hybrid as an alternative to my daily
driver I laughed and called it a skate board with a rubber band motor. Then I
did some research on the web and found that it had an all aluminum chassis
and body including some high tech compound formed extusions. It weighs under
1700 lbs and as a 1.0 liter engine. So I went for a test drive. It reminded
me of the Sprite in which I learned to drive. Small, light weight,
manueverable and surprise, surprise it has some kick. It accelerates 0-60 in
the same time as a TR6.

The thing actually does get 65 to 75 MPG if you are careful. On the other
hand you can drive it like a sports car and still get 55 mpg cruising down
the motorway at 85mpg. A few weeks ago a guy in a Honda CRX whizzed up next
to me. After he passed I dwnshifted into third and floored it. The electric
motor kicks in like a turbo with no lag- instant and continuous acceleration.
Hardly even lowered the battery charge. I zipped by the CRX and continued
accelerating to 95 with plenty left to go.

Great mileage and a fun car to drive. Honda's really on to something here.
Obviously the light weight has a lot to do with it but that was and is the
Lotus philosophy.

Greg Wolf
1970 GT6+ "Ian"
KC79746L