RE: chrome

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: chrome
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 13:07:22 -0700
> Not to be difficult, but I was always under the impression that
> after having
> stripped the part the chrome shop was supposed to fill in imperfections
> using a metal "paste" that could then be buffed to the same level as the
> original unpitted surface. That way you get a smooth base for a nice shiny
> chrome surface on a part that has the original relief.

Mark, I will freely admit that my knowledge of chrome plating may be
somewhat dated.  But if anyone has developed a paste that will conduct the
same as metal (remember this is electro-plating, current = metal), be as
strong as metal, bond the same as metal, and survive several hours in the
various hot chemical baths required (eg chromic acid, 450F, 2 hours), I've
not heard of it.  Steel and aluminum can, of course, be filled by welding
and ground back to the original profile, but even chroming over welds can be
problematic as the weld metal frequently doesn't plate the same.  In theory,
'pot metal' could also be welded, but in practice it's almost impossible to
successfully do.  In either case, chrome shops (at least the ones I've
visited) don't normally do such things.

So, I stand by my statement.  If you take a pitted piece in to be rechromed,
and you don't want the pits ground out, best to say so in writing.  Contrary
to what some may think, chrome shops do not like having unhappy customers,
they will do anything within reason to make you happy.  You just need to be
sure they understand what that is.

BTW, here's a listing of chrome shops I found while surfing just now.  Might
be useful to someone.
http://www.bikerlink.com/Chrome/Chrome_&_Plating_Index.html

Randall