Re: chrome

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: chrome
From: "Paul Willoughby's Home" <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 22:17:04 -0700
I'll ditto that,  Doug.  I lost an irreplaceable 69 GT Mustang gas cap the
same way.  The shop thought they were doing a good job by grinding away all
the reliefs cast into the cap.  I was heartbroken.  It is not a peice that
has ever been reproduced.  Again, like in Doug's case, it was very shiney,
but it was no longer original.

I had my TR4 bumpers rechromed for more than reproductions cost, but they
look great.  Conversly, I choose to buy reproduction hubcaps, because they
were half the cost of quality rechroming (I got a great bargain on ebay).  I
could replace them at least twice for the cost of the chroming.

Moral of the story - ask lots of questions of your chrome plater to ensure
they do it right or don't use them.

paulw
Torrance, CA
1964 TR4