Re: Transporting

To: <triumphs-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Transporting
From: "Rave Racer" <raveracer77@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 15:56:43 -0400 FILETIME=[D57B2700:01C25514]
    I guess I must have confused everyone.  My problem isn't finding a dolly
or trailer to pull the car, my problem is getting use of a vehicle that will
tow it.  The minivan idea was to rent one and use it to take all my personal
stuff down to eastern Canada where I can store it before I do the move to
AZ.  I've tried Ryder, Uhaul, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, and some local
Utility renters.  The ones that did rent trucks that could pull a trailer
were nearly $1500 for the cheapest vehicle.  No one else rented anything
that would tow long distance.  I've checked transporting companies and all
the ones that I've looked at will only transport a vehicle that runs under
it's own power.  I assume this is for loading and unloading.  I've located a
number of dollies to use between friends, and utility companies.  I just
don't have a way to tow it.
    Thanks to all for your advice already.  I've started looking for a
trailer in the local papers.  If you consider the value of purchasing a
trailer ($400 + licensing) instead of renting a dollie ($130), it seems that
even if I sell it later, I spend alot less and get to use it anytime.
Unfortunately I still don't have a vehicle capable of towing anything.

       Rave Racer
'89 Jetta 1.8L 16V GTX
 http://www.vwot.org/members/Pete.html
'87 Audi 4000 Quattro Sedan
 http://www.audifans.com/registry/view.php?action=viewCar&carid=110
'72 Triumph GT6
 http://motorcities.com/contents/01I3H011116682.html
'83 Toyota Tercel (yoda)     Possible future Sandrail donor...  Maybe

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 10:22:12 -0700
> From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
> Subject: RE: transporting
>
> >     My dilemma is that I don't have a way to get my non running GT6 to
the
> > destination 14 hours drive away within a reasonable budget.
>
> Have you considered towing a dolly behind the minivan ?  Check with U-haul
> or whoever beforehand to see how big a tow vehicle you have to show up in
> ... but of course they have no way of controlling what you do once you
leave
> their lot ... nor what you actually tow with the dolly.
>
> I towed my Sports 6 home from New Mexico, roughly 750 miles behind a very
> tired 'compact' Chevy Citation.  Burnt lots of gas (appx 12 mpg with A/C
on)
> but had no trouble with the towing once we gave up on the idea of towing
it
> backwards to avoid disconnecting the driveshaft <g>.  Even almost got a
> speeding ticket (CA sets 55mph when towing, I was doing roughly 65).
>
> Tow dollies hold their value well, you could even buy a used one and plan
on
> selling it in AZ.  There's one in PA on eBay, about to go for $600 ...
>
> Randall

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 13:40:15 -0400
> From: "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>
> Subject: Re: transporting
>
> Last year I was involved in a break down (blown engine) in Missouri and
> needed to get the car back to Tenn. called U-Haul and they wanted 900.00
for
> trailer & dolly + plus mileage, called "Penske" and they wanted 325.00 for
> 17' van with dolly and no mileage, U-Haul is and always has been the
triple
> the cost of all rentals and certainly not the nicest people to do business
> with, do yourself a favor and call 3 or 4 more rentals, you'll be
surprised
> "FT"

> Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 12:28:00 -0700
> From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
> Subject: Re: transporting
>
> Better still, You can probably find a used 2-wheel trailer for far less
than you would have to spend on renting a trailer.  I bought one for $400
and