Re:Repainting costs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Repainting costs
From: Mickylong@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 13:02:15 EDT
Thanks to all for the quick replies.  Seems the general consensus (if you
eliminate the MAACO possibility) is that $3K is reasonable or maybe even on
the low side.

My frugal nature compels me to ask a follow-up question before making that
commitment:  Am I nuts to think about doing this myself?  I've painted four
cars over the past 30 years including my previous 6 back in '85 and have been
satisfied with the results (learning early on the value of surface prep and
cleanliness of paint location).  But I obviously haven't worked with any new
paint formulations and would need to buy/rent the gear.  My thought is if I
spend up to $1,000 to buy paint and material I'll be well ahead of the game.
And I've always been of the school that I'd prefer to do the restoration than
watch someone else.

Any thoughts, warnings, comments from those who've been down this road?

Micky Long, Atlanta
72 TR 6