Re: Re:Repainting costs

To: <Mickylong@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Re:Repainting costs
From: "M Brooks" <mike@gsta.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 14:12:07 -0400
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi Micky,

I think painting it yourself is a great idea! Applying a nice paint job
isn't rocket science - especially since you've done it before. Like you
said, good surface prep and cleanliness are a big part of a nice finish. The
only other thing you need to do is get comfortable with the gun. Sure there
are some new fangled paint systems out there now but they aren't that
different when it comes to application than any of the old stuff. The great
thing about painting TR is that it's so small. No vast expanses of sheet
metal to show off any little mistake - it's 10 times harder to paint a
Cadillac than a TR6.

People think I'm crazy when I say this, especially the guy at the PPG paint
store, but I've done several cars in old-fashioned laquer with excellent
results. The beautiful thing about laquer is that you really can't mess it
up! Laquer can be sanded and buffed until it looks like a mirror even if you
originally had an orange-peeled mess. A gallon of high quality laquer is
only about $100 in any color you want.

If you don't like laquer just go with a good quality single-stage paint,
something that doesn't require a clear coat to make it shiny. Don't know
where you're located, but in Florida where I am the base-clear systems come
apart in no time flat.

Another possibility you might consider is renting or buying an HVLP system.
HVLP is High Volume Low Pressure meaning that when you apply the paint, a
large quantity of atomized material at a low pressure is delivered at the
guns tip. With this setup you don't have to worry about overspray messing up
your garage or you nearly as much as the old style guns. You can get a good
system including the compressor air line and gun for about $600 these days.

So basically you can spend $200 or $300 on material and OWN an HVLP tubine
system for another $600 and save yourself over $2000! After I watched a guy
paint my car some years ago and saw how easy it was I decided never to blow
any money at the body shop again. Go for it.

~Mike Brooks