Electronic Ignition and Positive ground?

To: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Subject: Electronic Ignition and Positive ground?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 16:21:24 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Scott Tilton
>Yep,  Was able to put my hands on the instructions that came with the
Crane
Cams Electronic Ignition I installled on the positive ground TR-4 years
ago.

Now .. . I will readily admit that I don't know squat about electronics or
electrical stuff in general.  So don't press me on the details . .I'm only
regurgitating what it says where on the instruction documents:

   Crane Cams Tech Note:
   XR700 12Volt postive ground installation
  Read this first.
Warning:  Use this hookup only for special XR700 12 volt positive ground
ignition module part number 720-0001.  Do not use standard XR700 12 volt
units
for positive ground.

(then it gives the details of the hookup by means of a diagram)

Now that I've read it . . .I notice that it doesn't say not to use the
positive
ground module on a negative ground application.  Instead it says not to use
standard module for a postive ground application.  So . . .I guess this
doesn't
refute what Randall, Dave or others might have said.

I sure would like to convert this sucker to negative ground.
Seeing how much I've spent on the cars in the past few weeks though . . I'd
really hate to toast a perfectly good electronic ignition module though.
<

My apologies, my experience with the crane only extends back five years or
so. I have installed them on both positive and negative ground systems but
appearently these were more modern units than what may already be out
there. Mounting the unit on an insulating base may be a quick and dirty
work-around for the older units that are not electrically isolated from the
case.

Dave