Electronic Ignition and Positive ground?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Electronic Ignition and Positive ground?
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 19:40:47 -0700 (PDT)
Yep,  Was able to put my hands on the instructions that came with the Crane
Cams Electronic Ignition I installled on the positive ground TR-4 years ago.

Now .. . I will readily admit that I don't know squat about electronics or
electrical stuff in general.  So don't press me on the details . .I'm only
regurgitating what it says where on the instruction documents:

   Crane Cams Tech Note:
   XR700 12Volt postive ground installation
  Read this first.
Warning:  Use this hookup only for special XR700 12 volt positive ground
ignition module part number 720-0001.  Do not use standard XR700 12 volt units
for positive ground.

(then it gives the details of the hookup by means of a diagram)

Now that I've read it . . .I notice that it doesn't say not to use the positive
ground module on a negative ground application.  Instead it says not to use a
standard module for a postive ground application.  So . . .I guess this doesn't
refute what Randall, Dave or others might have said.

I sure would like to convert this sucker to negative ground.
Seeing how much I've spent on the cars in the past few weeks though . . I'd
really hate to toast a perfectly good electronic ignition module though.

Scott Tilton
Electrical Ignoramus
Leesburg, VA