RE: One Black Plug

To: "'Randall Young'" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>, "'triumphmail list'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: One Black Plug
From: john donnelly <pdonnel1@san.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 16:56:13 -0700
Hi Randall,

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense.

Here's another curious note. The manuals describe multiple plugs (all Lodge
#'s) depending on the condition of the engine (stock, race modified, etc.).
Are the Bosch, Champion, NGK plugs we've been discussing here covering
these conditions (or heat ranges?), or is there an equivalent for each of
the Lodge #'s?

Or, let me ask a different way. Is there a cross reference chart showing
hotter/colder plugs, possibly by brand?  Spending $10 or so trying to find
a better plug may be worth the money, but I need to know what model numbers
to go after.

One last note. When running the Lucas Sport coil, the spark should be
hotter (more voltage,  meaning bigger spark). Does that mean you can could
spread the plug gap wider (maybe to .030) to obtain a bigger (better?)
spark?  It seems like there needs to be a balance between the coil and the
plugs (and wires) based on the condition and tuning of your engine. Bigger
(or hotter) may not be better.

Thanks
John in San Diego
'67 TR4A - tops been down for 3 weeks solid now!

On Tuesday, May 28, 2002 10:20 AM, Randall Young
[SMTP:ryoung@navcomtech.com] wrote:
> > Are the Bosch Platinum's better? How? And, what is the Bosch PN?
>
> John, IMO plug fouling has more to do with engine condition and state of
> tune (also fuel being burnt) than it does with plug construction.
(Assuming