Re: Pertronix reliability

To: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, <wallaces@superaje.com>
Subject: Re: Pertronix reliability
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 15:49:34 -0700
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Count me amongst those that have been struck by Petronics failures.
Somehow, don't know how, the magnets in the collar that goes over the
ditributor shaft get dislodged causing all types of misfiring.  One of these
days I'll call Petronics about a repair part or procedure. Don't assume,
(like I did, of course) that it will fail completely or not at all. My car
would idle ok, run fine above 3000 RPM, but coughed and sputtered like the
smoking room at O'Hare International anywhere inbetween.

 Definitely carry a spare set of points if you have the Petronics unit.

Bob