RE:help wiring the ignition

To: <PeterSchop@aol.com>
Subject: RE:help wiring the ignition
From: <lstein6@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 09:08:00 -0600
Cc: "Triumphs@Autox. Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
>I hooked the negative cable to one of the bell housing bolts.
i ended up putting it on the same bolt that holds the starter to the
bellhousing and noticed an improvement in starter motor speed (increase).

>Does it matter which terminal I take off the solenoid?
yes, you will need the one that supplies 12v only when the key is 'on'
the wiring diagram i have does not show which terminal, so i guess you  will
have to use a voltmeter, even an idiot light will work.  just touch each
terminal with key 'on' and key 'off' to find it.

>Which terminal on the coil do I hook it up to?
the positive terminal.  should have a + on it.  oops, you may have a ballast
coil, in which case the wire goes to the ballast resistor and then that
resistor goes to the + coil terminal.

>from the coil to the distributor. Which terminal do I come off of?
the negative (-) marked coil terminal to the distributor

>My next question deals with the temperature gage. Can I wire this up with it
>off the car?
yes

>The back of the gage has two terminals. I would think that one
>would go to the temperature sending unit and the other to ground
>Is the voltage stabilizer necessary for the gage to work?
i bet stabilizer absorbs volt spikes and protects gauge.  mine is on back of
either tach or speedo, can't remember.  please use.  one wire of gauge to
stabilizer, other end of stabilizer to sender unit.
looks like this...
ground - sender at engine -> gauge on dash -> stabilizer -> to +12v

i find a simple digital multimeter (radio shack, sears) is a wonderful tool.

good luck. larry