Re: Removing exhaust manifold studs?

To: hansenc@flash.net
Subject: Re: Removing exhaust manifold studs?
From: francois wildi <fwildi@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 09:48:13 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
I was faced with the same problem 2 weeks ago, fixing a spare cast
iron exhaust manifold.
I had been regularly soaking the studs with PB blaster for weeks! To
no avail.
a) I filed the only stud which was protruding flat for a spanner and
that did work.
b) I drilled the 2 broken studs with a large enough drill to use the
largest possible extractor I had. (one of these conical helixes that
turn the "wrong way"). Well, of course I broke the extractor. Here I
want to make a solemn promise: I will never even try to use one
again, ever. I have now a set of 3 broken extractors used on 3
different screws and never managed to extract anything with such a
tool.
c) I drilled the studs with an even larger drill and VERY CAREFULLY,
re-tapped the original thread with a HSS 3/8 UNF tap. What worked
fine, in no time. As far a the new studs are concerned, I just
ordered a set from Moss.

Francois
TR3B
Tucson