RE: TR4 Transmission - what to do?

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@islandnet.com>
Subject: RE: TR4 Transmission - what to do?
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 08:47:03 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Malcolm,

Rebuilding your gearbox is a very do-able project for the winter.  Follow the
Haynes manual step-by-step.  Nelson Riedel has a great how-to on his
website... I'm at work and don't have the URL.  It takes abot $250 worth of
parts to completely refurbush the unit.  Parts are available from many sources
in the US and UK.

But if you just want a quick fix or stand-in unit... non-OD gearboxes are
pretty easy to find for under $150 and are a much easier project. Of course
you are rolling the dice as the used unit may be just as bad or really nice.

It is also good to have a spare.  I have two on hand... one complete and one
in parts. I beleive any TR4-TR6 unit is a bolt in.  The TR3 unit will work but
not sure if the holes line up.

Give me a yell if you need some info... also check out the website under
"winter 98" for some more.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L(O) - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site