Re: TR4 Transmission - what to do?

To: Malcolm Walker <walker05@islandnet.com>
Subject: Re: TR4 Transmission - what to do?
From: Doug Mathews <mathews@uga.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 21:31:13 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Some year ago....maybe late 70's, I purchased a basket case 57 TR3 and
managed to get the engine started with out a lot of work, but there was
this strange knocking sound which I took to be an engine know. When I put
it in gear, I piston came right though the block.  Later after I had my TR4
for a while, I needed to have the tranny rebuilt in the 4, so I decide
while it was out and away, I'd put the old TR3 tranny in the 4.  I did and
when I cranked the 4, I heard the same old knocking that I heard before the
TR3 blew the engine.  Too much coincidence since I had no knocking in the
TR4 before. I quickly removed the TR3 tranny and waited till the 4 tranny
was rebuilt. My only point here is that wathc that knock and if it were my
car..I'm not so sure I'd drive it if the tranny had a knock.

Anyone else have similar experiences?