Now I realllllly hate emissions testing....

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Now I realllllly hate emissions testing....
From: "Jim Hill" <jrhill@chorus.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 23:56:08 -0600
In a message forwarded by MJB to the list, Keith A. Bay wrote:

> Since you ask (though it wasn't me) Wisconsin is one state that requires
> cars built after 1967 to pass the emissions standards that were in place
for
> the year they were built every other year if they are registered with
> 'regular' plates. If you put a collectors plate on the car it has to pass
> when it is first titled in the state and every time it changes ownership
but
> only has to pass on those single occasions.

Well, not exactly. Vehicles registered in Wisconsin are only subject to
emissions testing if they're garaged in one of the southeastern counties (in
the Milwaukee area). And then only because it's mandated by federal--not
Wisconsin--law.

>From the WISDOT web page:

    The federal Clean Air Act spells out air quality standards
    that all areas of the United States must meet. Southeastern
    Wisconsin is one of over 90 metropolitan areas in 35 states
    with air pollution levels higher than federal health standards.
    About one-third of volatile organic compounds (mostly
    hydrocarbons) and 60% of carbon monoxide present in this
    area are due to automobile emissions.

And it does not appear that collector plates have anything to do with it,
since all "vehicles more than 5 model years old are required to be tested at
the time of change of ownership."

And the testing is free.

Although I have an opinion as to the efficacy of emissions testing for
automobiles, I'll keep it to myself. Let me only suggest that statements
like "our air got better without emissions testing" and "our air got worse
after emissions testing was required" prove nothing.- there are many other
sources of air pollution, and substantial investment in reducing ALL sources
of air pollution in the past 30 years. Some were effective, some weren't.
The real question is what would have happened to our air if we'd done
nothing.

Jim Hill
Madison WI