Re: Engine rebuild/teardown, cotd.

To: herald1200@home.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine rebuild/teardown, cotd.
From: SDOliner@aol.com
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 00:05:26 EST
In a message dated 11/16/01 11:23:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
herald1200@home.com writes:

<< Timing chain, for those interested, had about an inch of play, and so is
shot.
 How do I measure wear on the sprockets? What is an acceptable amount?

I am rebuilding a 1275 BMC Engine for my Bugeye. The common knowledge I got
from the spridgets list, was that once you replace the timing chain replace
both sprockets. The sprockets that I replaced appeared have worn at the ends
of the teeth, making them a little pointy.

David Vizard's book Tuning the A Series Engine (which is the bible for us
spridgets guys) stresses proper cam shaft timing. Merely lining up the holes
on the sprockets may not achieve the proper cam timing due to manufacturing
tolerances. There are offset keyways available for these engines, which can
change the sprockets by as much a 5 degrees (actually 10 degrees if one is
used on each sprocket) I don't know that much about your engine but I would
think that the same principles apply.

David Oliner
60 Bugeye
67 TR 4A