RE: Clutch shaft removal

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Clutch shaft removal
From: "Ken Waringa" <kwaringa@dynsys.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 07:56:16 -0600
I tried to send this yesterday, but never saw it, so here I go again.

Thanks to all that replied.  Upon closer inspection, the back side of the
fork where the taper pin goes in is cracked.  I thought it was strange that
the bolt holding the fork to the shaft was a shiny silver color with course
threads.  The bolt appears to have been cut off to the existing length.  I'm
guessing a DPO encountered the sheared taper pin, couldn't get it out so
forced the larger bolt into the hole hoping it would hold the fork tightly
on the shaft,  WRONG.  I've ordered the new parts to replace the whole
thing.  I thought about welding the fork to the shaft, but I was concerned
about alignment.  There is substantial movement of the fork on the shaft,
and I'm not sure what the correct alignment is.

Thanks again,

Ken