Re: Stuck Engine Still

To: herald1200@home.com
Subject: Re: Stuck Engine Still
From: Ct54531@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 19:14:38 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 1/12/01 6:09:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
herald1200@home.com writes:

<<
 The crankshaft nut shouldn't be the one holding the fan on! That is usually
 a 1/4" bolt, that won't turn the engine! Don't break that bolt off- you'll
 have to pull the water pump to remove it!
 The Crankshaft nut is usually 3/4" or better-

I fear I'm coming off as dumber than I really am. The bolt I'm referring to
is a 13/16 bolt and is clearly in the center of the crankshaft. It sits,
however, recessed in the center of the fan and appears to be holding on a 2"
round plate that is in front of another 2 1/2" plate which appears to be
securing the fan. Perhaps this is how the yellow 250 fans went on. Perhaps
this is some makeshift manner of holding a fan on. I don't know. I just went
counterclockwise and it easily untightens that way. But I'd rather not remove
the fan for balancing concerns -- if any and I don't see why that would be
necessary -- or even useful.

 it is in the center of the crankshaft pulley,(The lowest pulley, attached to
the front of
 the crankshaft) and once you put a big socket on it, and a breaker bar, you
 should be able to turn the crank. And go clockwise to see if it is free. You
 should see the valve train move within the first 1/4 turn.

And it didn't. It was the 13/16 bolt that was turning and there was no
corresponding movement of the valves. Which means -- if something turns and
something that's supposed to be attached to it doesn't -- then either
something's wrong or I'm turning the wrong thing. Hence my question asked
perhaps in an excess of caution.

 I suggest you refer to a mechanic manual or shop manual for your car, and
look at
 the diagram of the crankshaft.

I really do know what a crankshaft is and where it is and what it does and
what it is attached to. As I said above, it just wasn't making sense that the
nut would turn and the valves wouldn't and I so asked what surely seems
obvious to the knowledgeable in an excess of caution.
Thanks.

Jim

Jim