Re: Stuck Engine Still

To: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Subject: Re: Stuck Engine Still
From: George Richardson <gprtech@frontiernet.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 19:30:46 -0500
Cc: Ct54531@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
On a TR4 engine the fan is held on by 4 bolts, none of which is in the
middle or could be mistaken for a bolt that would turn over an engine.
The center bolt in the fan holds the fan extension onto the crank, and
in the older cars was actually the bolt that the hand crank attached to
to start the car.

Jim, if you're still trying to turn over the engine without having put a
good deal of penetrating oil into the cylinders and letting it soak,
you're probably going to damage the engine. Put a good deal of oil into
each spark plug hole and let it soak for a day or two at least. The
piston rings are very likely rusted to the cylinder liners, and if you
try to hard to turn the engine, the rings may break and damage the
liners.

My car sat for 3 years without running, but I poured some nice thick oil
into the cylinders each year it sat. As a result, it turned easily when
I next tried it.

--
George Richardson
Wyvern - '57 Triumph TR3, TS15559LT -