Stuck Engine Still

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Stuck Engine Still
From: Ct54531@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 17:57:44 EST
Well, I pulled the radiator to get plenty of room at the crankshaft bolt with
a breaker bar and I turned (clockwise only) and I could feel the nut turn (a
little) but the valves remained totally still. I stopped before I turned
things too much and have to ask -- no matter how stupid it sounds. (For what
it's worth, I have turned engines by the crankshaft bolt before but.....I
hate to break things. Especially Triumph things.)
The crankshaft bolt is the one that holds the fan on, right (among other
things, of course). I mean, there's not another bolt in there somehow, is
there? Another less obvious or concealed bolt that's being referred to when
folks
mention the crankshaft bolt. This is a 65 4A but it has the yellow fan from
the 250. Fine. That means that the previous owner did a good thing putting on
the better fan --
but it had to be at least twenty years ago. And I've never had it off. Could
it be that the movement I feel in the bolt simply indicates that it had a
little bit of play before tightening and I should continue until it AND the
valves move.
Thanks.

Jim
65 4A