RE: TR3 Oil Presure Question

To: Stephen Peca <sppchicago@excite.com>
Subject: RE: TR3 Oil Presure Question
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 14:42:42 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Steve,

First off... you should be using a 15W-40 minimum even on a new engine.  The
original 1962 TR4 owners book called for 20W-40 (The TR4 engine is the same in
every respect for this discussion). If the engine is along in miles... 20W50
makes more sense.

Normal behavior on a new engine running 20W-50 with the engine warmed up...
should be 70lbs at speed and about 45-50 at idle.  That same engine at full
hot on 10W-30 might drop slightly below 70lbs at speed and get down to 35-40
at idle.

I experienced the same thing you did when I bought my car.  The oil pressure
was like yours and the oil was old so I changed to 10W-30 Mobil-1 and a new
filter.  The oil pressure was OK at cold start but went south just like yours
when I it warmed up and even worse have a long drive at speed.

I ended up rebuilding the engine and found the rod bearings to be badly worn
and the oil pump was worn to out-of-spec.  There were other issues that added
up to a rebuild.  If I had not rebuilt it... I would have used 20W-50 and
milked for as long a I could.

The other issue here is the oil pressure limit switch.  If the spring is
broken or limp... the valve will kick in too early... before 70.  A reasonable
test is after changing to 20W-50... on a cool morning the first oil reading
should be about 70lbs.  If not the spring may need replacing or the adjustment
nut might need a couple of flats towaed tightening.

Hope this helps

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L soon to be "O" - Groton, MA

My TR4 Restoration Web Site
http://www.net1plus.com/users/sanborn
E-Mail: sanborn@net1plus.com