TR3 Oil Presure Question - Thanks

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 Oil Presure Question - Thanks
From: Stephen Peca <sppchicago@excite.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 11:42:22 -0800 (PST)
Thank you all for the quick responses.  Clearly, the consensus is that I
should not be using oil additives, and that I should be using a heavier
weight oil - specifically 20W-50.  I will probably change the oil again
either this weekend or next, using the heavier weight.

(Sorry I couldn't send individual thank you messages.)

Steve Peca
Franklin Twp, New Jersey
1958 TR3A - TS23867L

------------------------------

  I have had my TR3 for almost a year.  I haven't driven it much because the
  car spent probably 8 of the last 12 months in storage.  This weekend I
  changed the oil for the first time.  The previous owner told me he changed
  the oil every 6 months.  Well, the oil looked like it was crude oil -
black
  and thick.

  Anyway, I added Castrol 10W-30 and replaced the the existing spin-on oil
  filter with a Fram PH2825.  For good measure (I think and I hope), I added
  CD-2, an oil detergent, with the thought that I will change the oil again
in
  a month before I put my car away for seasonal storage.

  Now my question:  Before changing the oil, oil pressure was consistent at
  50lbs (at idle and at speed).  After changing the oil, the pressure was at
  60lbs, then quickly stabilized at 50lbs.  Good.  I took the car for a spin
  to get the engine very hot and to check for leaks.  After a bit, the oil
  pressure, at idle, dropped to about 30lbs.  At speed, the pressure was
about
  50lbs.  By the time I got home, oil pressure, at idle, varied between
20lbs
  and 30lbs.  There are no leaks (other than normal) that I can see.  The
  engine and operating performance ran like a charm; very strong.

  I looked at my TR manuals that said that oil pressure should vary between
  30lbs and 70lbs.  Should I be worried that oil pressure drops to 20 lbs at
  hot idle?  Should I worry that hot at idle oil pressure droped to 30lbs
from
  50lbs previously?  Or is this simple a result of clean oil?  Should I be
  using a heavier weight of motor oil?

  Steve Peca
  Franklin Twp, New Jersey
  1958 TR3A - TS23867L