Re: Another Front Suspension Question

To: BPAULTR3@aol.com
Subject: Re: Another Front Suspension Question
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 10:38:31 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

BPAULTR3@aol.com wrote:
> Well it turned out to be a used rotor he had left in there during
> the tune up.

IMO a new ignition rotor is just as likely to fail as an old one.  In
fact, on the road home from VTR, I attended a "roadside tech clinic"
where the problem turned out to be a brand new, failed rotor.  Changing
the rotor does not add to the reliability of the car. (Rotors don't
wear)

> Check the cost of the work/parts in your case, the pads and machine work.

Don't forget to add how much life you are taking out of (fairly)
expensive rotors.

> Then think about maybe breaking down on the road, or worse having an
> accident, then having to do all the work over.

Except that not turning brake rotors, and reusing unworn pads, is not
going to cause a  breakdown on the road, or an accident.  Nor are you
going to have to "do all the work over" if you later find out they need
to be turned/replaced.

Obviously, I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum from Bob Paul when it
comes to rebuilding.  That doesn't mean he's wrong or I'm right, just
that it's a matter of personal preference.  I've driven my car for a
long time, I plan to drive it for a long time to come.  I'm not
particularly wealthy, and if I rebuilt everything "to the nines" every
time I had it apart, I couldn't afford to drive it as much.

Replacing all 'wear' parts doesn't make it new, either.  Metal fatigues,
old metal sometimes breaks.  The only way to make it 'new' is to replace
every single load bearing part (which is possible, but not on my wallet
<g>).

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver