Re: TR3 Rear Oil Seal

To: musson@chekhov.arts.usf.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 Rear Oil Seal
From: Chip19474@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 12:09:43 EDT
In a message dated 00-06-18 17:02:22 EDT, musson@chekhov.arts.usf.edu writes:

<< What is the consensus on the replacement rear oil seal for
 the TR2/3/4 engine?  They run about $130  compared to $0 or $50 - see
 comment below (not counting any sales or discounts).  Is it worth the extra
 cost?  Is there much modification necessary?

 Engine is out of the car and will be going through a rebuild/refurbishment -
 Rear seal is not currently leaking. >>

Carl,

One of our club members (who owns and operates a restoration shop) ran a tech
session last winter on rear seal replacement for the 2/3/4 engine.  I don't
own a 2/3 or 4 but after watching and listening to the presentation, I
wouldn't hesitate having it done under the conditions that you described
i.e., engine out of car and being rebuilt.

The "period correct" spiral groved crankshaft and rope seal seems to be a
rather clever and creative but not necessarily a reliable way of controlling
oil at the rear.  In my mind, when you compare a crankshaft that's been
ground smooth to accept the modern seal and the housing arrangement for the
seal, it seems like a winner.

Again, I have no experience with this seal......just opinion, but it would
also seem that if the modern seal ever needed to be replaced, the job would
be a lot easier.

Good luck,

Chip Krout
'76 TR6 CF57822U (restoration underway)
'70 Spit Mk3  FDU78512L (basking in the sun!)