Re: suspicious dealings on ebay

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: suspicious dealings on ebay
From: "Barclay McInnes" <barc@bloodmoney.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 12:21:28 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
> I didn't follow that particular auction, but I've noticed that the
> condition of the Haynes manuals has a large influence on the price.
> Ones described as 'NOS', or 'like new' frequently go for over $50, while
> I've seen several in the "shop wear/grease stains/torn cover" category
> go for under $25 (in fact, I've bought two of them).

Also, it seems that timing might be an issue as well.  I just picked up
another TR7 DHC, and was looking on Ebay just sort of idly while the British
car shop in town was seeing whether or not they could get another Haynes
manual for it in a timely manner.  While they spent a week checking, I saw 3
on Ebay go for anywhere from $20 to $40, all in the same week.  Then the
shop called me back to say it would be a month or more, so I decided to go
back to Ebay to grab one (cuz I want to get my car on the road for *summer*
not winter....), and snagged one for $5.99.  So, even with shipping and
everything, it still works out to less than I would have paid retail, even
though it has been used.  I guess the 3 others the week before satisfied the
demand...<shrug>?

Barclay McInnes
1980 TR7 DHC