RE: suspicious dealings on ebay

Subject: RE: suspicious dealings on ebay
From: "Mark Gendron" <mgendron@speakeasy.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 09:10:27 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Are you sure about your facts? The JD is investigating eBay,
but it has nothing to do with bidding practices by eBay customers.
Another company (AuctionWatch, I believe) complained that eBay
won't allow them to catalog eBay auctions with a web crawler and
post them on their own web site. They are alleging antitrust
violations, and the JD is investigating. IMHO, the complaint
has no merit.

If eBay customers are engaging in "shill bidding" (I think that's
what it's called), then eBay would need to take civil action
against them. Of course, the government MIGHT get involved if
there is widespread activity of this sort by an individual or
organized group of individuals.