Re: What's Happening to the Paint?

To: haldeman@accessone.com, greenman62@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: What's Happening to the Paint?
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 11:20:38 PDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>From: "Philip Haldeman" <haldeman@accessone.com>
>To: <greenman62@hotmail.com>
>CC: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
>Subject: Re: What's Happening to the Paint?
>Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 09:07:07 -0700
>
>Thanks for the idea, Greg.  Funny thing is, the Maguiar's #1 Cleaner
>completely gets rid of the spots, temporarily, which I couldn't do before
>the rub-out with 2000 grit.  Then I polish.  Then wax.  It takes just about
>6 hours of sunlight before the spots start to become visible again (under
>strong reflected light).  The Zymol you are recommending is probably a
>polymere-based product like Nu Finish (I'm just guessing) and this is
>basically what Maguiar's recommended I use.  Their Professional
>Sealant/Protectant is the same sort of stuff, only with more expensive
>ingredients (again, I'm guessing that Zymol is inexpensive!---so maybe you
>can tell me more about it---what kind of animal it is, etc.).  Maguiar's
>makes zillions of different products, so you have to pick and choose
>carefully.  I don't know if that's why you didn't have any luck.  But the
>point is, I can get the paint to look great---for a week!  Then the ghosts
>reappear.  Was that your problem?
>
>--Phil

     My paint was dulled on the boot lid... `looked like water
     streaking. Same thing on the fender tops.

     I don't think Zymol has any sealant other than carnuba. God that
     stuff smelled delicious!!! I almost wanted to spread it on toast!
     Zymol's supposed to be a "natural" product... It's been two
     weeks. So far the car still looks terrific. I'll give it a wash
     when things warm up here... I'll keep you posted as to how the
     finish holds up.

     BTW, It's not exactly inexpensive either.

     Greg

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois
1962 TR4 (CT4852L)