What's Happening to the Paint?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: What's Happening to the Paint?
From: "Philip Haldeman" <haldeman@accessone.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 22:07:16 -0700charset="Windows-1252"
A week ago, I had the paint rubbed out on my car---popularly known as "color
sanding".  It looked great when I got it home, even under reflected light.
I had it done because of water-spotting on the hood that wouldn't come out,
even with rubbing compound, etc.

After the professional wet-sanding and subsequent buffing, the car looked
nearly new.  I was told to wax the car when I got it home.  This I did,
using Meguiars "Deep Chrystal" #2 Polish, then the #3 Wax.  As expected, I
got some oxidized paint off on the rag (I was told I probably would still
get some when I waxed).  So far, so good.  The car was dazzlingly clean and
shiny.  Now, a week later, after driving the car in the sun off and on for
about 6 or 7 hours, the water-spotting is returning to the hood once again!!
How can this be?

What is happening to the finish?  Has the paint gone bad for good?  Will it
just keep doing this, or is there anything I can I do to stop the process?
I must say that although the car looks great to the casual observer, it's
disappointing in reflected light---and here I've just spent $400 to improve
the finish.

--Phil Haldeman
haldeman@accessone.com