RE: TR3 sump pan bolts & washers

To: "TR-Graham, Angelo" <a3graham@mc1adm.uwaterloo.ca>
Subject: RE: TR3 sump pan bolts & washers
From: "Jack Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 07:14:01 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Triumph List" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Angelo,

>In removing and replacing my sump pan, the bolts fastening the pan
>did not have any washers on them.  The various catalogues show a
>washer; wondering if this should be a spring (lock) washer or a flat
>type?  Washers make sense to me in this application.  Wondering if the PO
>just left them off.

Yes, there should be split washers to keep the bolts from backing off.  Also
note the lengths are different on either just the one where the clutch slave
cylinder attaches, and maybe the two that go into the aluminum block at the
front.

>As well, I have always used Permatex aviation grade gasket sealer for
>such applications.  Would you coat both sides of the sump pan gasket
>in this application?

I used Permatex Ultra Blue Gasket sealer.  Either would work fine and YES
coat both sides.

Also, take 30 minutes and make sure the entire lip of the sump is flat and
level, without any appreciable waviness, beyond the stiffeners stamped into
the lip.  This will do more than any sealer to insure the sump remains
leakproof.

Later,

Jack Brooks
1960 TR3A