Re: TRanny/diff work.

To: ryoung@navcomtech.com, gernot.vonhoegen@stir.ac.uk
Subject: Re: TRanny/diff work.
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 14:10:47 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 30-Jul-99 13:46:28 Eastern Daylight Time,
ryoung@navcomtech.com writes:

> OD never was as popular in the US as the UK.  Even
>  the US cars that offered it as an option are almost never found with it,
>  and most didn't offer it, due to the mass dis-interest.  Probably
something
>  to do with petrol prices (OD got a lot more common after our 'gas crisis'
>  back in '74).  Of course, OD on LBCs also added a lot of complexity to
cars
>  that were unreliable to begin with.

I'll tell you why I didn't order it in '64.  Almost all cars then had "three
on the tree" -- since the TR4 had a 4 speed transmission why pay extra (less
than a hundred bucks, if I remember, but that was about a third of a month's
salary then) for a fifth speed?  Four speeds was considered a "hot" item.  I
did order radial tires, wire wheels, sun visors, a heater and a tonneau cover
--all options -- then I ran out of money so couldn't order every option.  OD
was less important then than those others.

I'm sure I was not the only one who reasoned it that way.  I never thought I
'd still have the car 35 years later.  Now wish I had ordered OD.  Cheers.

Art Kelly