RE: TRanny/diff work.

To: Tom Di Iulio <diiulio@ix.netcom.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Subject: RE: TRanny/diff work.
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 18:58:25 -0400
Tom, it seems high to me, but rarity of the OD transmission does not help.
Essentially you are trading in your transmission, buying a used
OD tranny, then rebuilding it.

I figure an OD tranny is worth about $750-1000 if you can find one.
then a rebuild costs about $250-300 for parts.  The actual labor involved in the
rebuild is not great, so double it for the labor,   I am doing my own tranny
now, so I know how scary and easy it is.

total rebuild $600.

Lets say your used tranny is worthless (it is actually worth about $150+)

Total cost of rebuilt OD tranny should be less than $1600.

The differential is pretty easy to rebuild and the parts are
not too expensive, unless it is trashed.  Total cost of diff rebuild
ought to be $250-300, but I have less experience with this than the trans.

Total cost of both tranny and diff:  less than $1900, IMHO.

Hope this helps.

Tony

Message text written by INTERNET:triumphs-owner@autox.team.net

<