RE: skinny TR3 spare tire

To: "'Bill'" <wghook@earthlink.net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: skinny TR3 spare tire
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 12:15:29 -0700
Bill :

So far, I've identified five other options, which you can take FWIW :

1) Found a place in Ohio that will mail order 155R15 snow tires. about $50,
plus S&H http://www.tiresunlimited.com/vred_snow.htm

2) Some Volvos (I've identified 1990 760 and 780 models) use a 155R15
'compact spare'.  These are getting old enough that there should be a few
in the junk yards ...

3) 155R15 tires are still common in Europe. (Standard size on older Citroen
2CV, others)  Perhaps you can have some exported to you.

4) Coker tire (http://www.coker.com) carries several varieties of skinny
15" tires.  I doubt they are cheap, tho <g>

5) Many newer cars (including some American cars) appear to use a T125/90
R15 'compact spare'.  It should be possible to mount these onto stock TR3
rims, but I haven't tried.  Might even be able to find some 'take offs' at
a dealer...

As it happens, Frank decided to keep one of his, and I already promised two
to friends, so I'll probably continue investigating these options.  Just as
soon as I get the @#$^ head gasket changed <g>

Randall