Re: Painting a British Flag on a TR6 Boot Lid

To: Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Painting a British Flag on a TR6 Boot Lid
From: MOWOGMAN@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 07:40:00 EDT
Well, I assure you it's not a big sticker!!
I am one of the people who have painted a british flag on the roof of his '60
Austin Mini.  If your in the midwest and ever get to Road America, My car is
the loud, dark blue w/flag, mags, tilt front, etc., mini running around there.

How I did it:
I did a practice flag on my mini gas tank.  You see it when you open the
trunk.
1. My car is dark blue, so I painted the whole car that color.
2. Next I figured out the size of the roof, and scaled a real flag until I
thought the dimensions would look correct on the roof shape.
3. I then layed out the various dimensions with reference marks on tape on
the edge of my rain gutter.
4. My wife and I Masked off the areas to be painted red.
5. painted the red (this was probably 4 weeks after the blue was painted)
6. demasked these areas, after paint set up. (you want to do this as soon as
you can)
7. I waited about 1 week before applying the next color.
8. Next I masked the white to blue edges.
9. I also masked the red edge so that the white is "layed" up right against
the red edge (step).
10. paint the white.
11. demask as before.
12. let it cure.
13. Wax.
14. Drive.

Comments:  It turned out great!  I actually can't believe how nice it turned
out.
I used catalyzed  poly urethane for the whole job, no clear coat.
The whole roof looks very smooth, you can see the white to blue edge but it's
barely noticable.  The white to red edges are even more smooth.  I would
recommend If you want extreme perfection to inlay the colors next to each
other, it's not as hard as it sounds, and the effect is most likely worth it.

The paint is about 9 years old now, and the roof is still excellant, no
cracking, fading, bleed through, etc.

Good luck,
If you have any more questions, please write.
John.
'60 Austin Mini
'60 Austin Healey 3000
'69 Austin America