Re: TR6 Timing

To: Johntr6@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Timing
From: Skip Osmundsen <gosmund@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 10:25:48 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Johntr6@aol.com wrote:

> This i don't understand ( not only this....):
> I've had trouble timing my engine to specs since I replaced cam several years
> ago (along with a valve job). Today I tried again, starting by timing
> statically to -12 degrees by the test lamp method described in Bentley.  When
> I then put timing light on the marks, it still reads -12. Whats up with that?
> Idle remains rough, but at higher revs things seem pretty good.
> Furthermore, I'm still chasing an apparent vacuum leak. I just replaced the
> manifold
> gasget and retorqued all carb bolts. I still don't get enough vacuum to
> operate the vacuum retard device, although now I can feel some under the rear
> carb where the vacuum hose connects. The hose appears clear...at least i can
> blow through it. Any ideas on this?
> Thanks,         John

John,  When you set the static timing to -12 deg, the vacuum retard
unit, (if working) should bring the timing at idle to about 4 degrees
ATDC.  Check your vacuum unit to make sure it is good,  also make
certain that it's connected to the proper port on the carb setup.  You
didn't mention what year your car was,  the connections vary from year
to year.
Good luck,
Skip Osmundsen.
'76 TR6